She Said Yes !!!



I can't believe it. My best friend has decided to spend the rest of her life with me. Well, at least until she gets tired of me. What a wonderful way to kick off 2018!? Huh!? I'm still excited as if it happened yesterday. Want to hear the juicy details? Okay. 💙
About eight months ago my cousin and his wife invited us to accompany them for a seven day getaway to Aruba. At the time we didn't have passports and weren't looking to travel until spring 2018. On top of that, my girlfriend (now fiancee') had a huge fashion show in New York and our pockets were tight. Despite the many reasons to decline, we decided to take them up on their offer. We both were planning to get passports anyway so this seem like an easy excuse to do so. 

Around late August I began discussing proposal options with the my mother. I never gave her a date because I didn't have one in mind. Truthfully, I hadn't started pricing rings or even looking. I was performing, Alicia (my fiancee') was modeling and we were burned out; The upcoming months offered some normalcy and that allowed us regroup.  
Heading into the fall, Alicia paid off the remainder of our Aruba trip; Which I completely forgot about. About mid October my mother gave me a friendly reminder that I still hadn't given her a solid date in which I planned to propose. By this point, all parents were well aware of my intentions. Instead of picking a date I decided to start pricing rings with mom. 

As the holidays approached everyone sat in mystery awaiting my final decision. Truth is, I still didn't have a date in mind (don't judge me). One day my fiancee' approached me and asked when I was gonna pay for my passport. Once again Aruba slipped my mind... Then, it hit me! Aruba! Why the hell didn't I think of this before!? I'll propose in Aruba! But how?

After the new year I began to think of ideas on how I could make my proposal unique. I scratched the surface a bit but couldn't think of anything that stuck out. Time was ticking, and with the Aruba trip being less than five weeks away I had to make something shake. Then it hit me! We're going to be in Aruba on valentines day! What better day to propose!? How many people our age get to propose to the love of their life in Aruba? This is a opportunity I couldn't pass up.
So I started brainstorming and I decided that music would have to play a part. What song should I play? Should I attempt a proposal video and get others involved? Decisions, decisions...
Maybe I should write a song? Do I have enough time to write and record? I had to make it work.

I shuffled my playlist for days trying to find the right song that would allow me to paint the perfect picture with words. One morning while driving, Adele's record "Send my love" was playing on one of my local radio stations. I began bouncing around in my seat to the instrumental. As a rapper, I often freestyle (in my head) to just about any beat I hear. For some reason (on this day) that track spoke to me a bit different. Out of curiosty I went home and pulled up the instrumental on youtube. As soon as I hit play the words "this be the realest thing I ever wrote" came to me clear as day.  EUREKA!

I wrote all morning/afternoon until I couldn't write anymore. Eventually I completed the track and here's what it sounds like...
https://soundcloud.com/charmcityblu/the-proposal
Fast forward to Vday 2018 and she said yes!

Popular Posts